Skip to main content

Spring 2024-Week 11

Hi Everyone, Another week, another post. I can't believe we're almost done with TRAIN, let alone the semester. My research has just started picking up. On Tuesday, I had to hunker down and spend 2+ hours in the lab on one experiment. I'm really excited about my results. For the first time, I was able to definitely prove that the pseudomonas does grow biofilm. However, the biofilm only stuck to the sides because I used plates with u-bottom wells instead of flat-bottom. This is going to make it hard to put the data into numbers. I'm debating whether I want/have time to redo the experiment with flat bottom wells. If not, this might be the end of my research this semester.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fall 2023: Week 2

Hi Everyone, It's great to be back with TRAIN this semester. Lately I've been researching and reading articles related to my project. Since I"ve decided to ditch last semester project, and come up with my own there's been a lot of brainstorming. I'm excited to put together something from scratch. I already have something in mind and now it's up to me and Josh to conduct this project within limitations. Either way I can't wait.

Spring 2024-Week 4

Hi Everyone, Happy Valentine's to those who celebrate. This week has been a busy week. Most of my time was spent in class and in sophomore square helping the robotics club in the Valentine's Day market. We sold a lot of 3d printed objects, one being 3D printed roses. (picture below)I'm making the final touches on my research proposal while also writing the procedure for my experiment. Unfortunately, the stuff I've been waiting for has to be reordered. This is the longest I've gone in TRAIN without doing anything for my research, which makes me a little anxious, but I know it will all come together in the end.

Week 9: Interesting results

On Tuesday, I plated E. Coli and tested the effectiveness of 4 samples to kill the bacteria. The sample included , Aloe Vera gel (store bought), Windex, Tap water, and 70% Isopropyl Alcohol. This experiment was pretty much used to keep me busy as I haven't yet been able to start a project. However when I came in Wednesday, I found some interesting results. The zone of inhibition was basically 0 for every sample, including the isopropyl alcohol. Although the tap water, being the control, and the Windex doesn't jump out as a surprise to me, the 70% Alcohol does. Originally I had two hypothesis's on why this occurred. One being that because E. Coli is a gut bacteria and therefore is built to withstand alcohol. The second theory suggest user error such as the letting the alcohol evaporate to much before I was able to put the disk on the plate. Because of the results on Wednesday and with the first hypothesis in mind, I chose to do another plate instead with Staphylococcus. I ch